Department of Homeland Security Headquarters Consolidation Accountability Act of 2015by Representative Jeff Duncan
Posted on 2016-04-18
DUNCAN of South Carolina. Mr. Speaker, I move to suspend the
rules and pass the bill (S. 1638) to direct the Secretary of Homeland
Security to submit to Congress information on the Department of
Homeland Security headquarters consolidation project in the National
Capital Region, and for other purposes.
The Clerk read the title of the bill.
The text of the bill is as follows: S. 1638 Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled, SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
This Act may be cited as the ``Department of Homeland Security Headquarters Consolidation Accountability Act of 2015''.
SEC. 2. INFORMATION ON DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY HEADQUARTERS CONSOLIDATION PROJECT.
(a) In General.--Not later than 120 days after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary, in coordination with the Administrator, shall submit to the appropriate committees of Congress information on the implementation of the enhanced plan for the Department headquarters consolidation project within the National Capital Region, approved by the Office of Management and Budget and included in the budget of the President for fiscal year 2016 (as submitted to Congress under section 1105(a) of title 31, United States Code), that includes the following: (1) A proposed occupancy plan for the consolidation project that includes specific information about which Department- wide operations, component operations, and support offices will be located at the site, the aggregate number of full time equivalent employees projected to occupy the site, the seat-to-staff ratio at the site, and schedule estimates for migrating operations to the site.
(2) A comprehensive assessment of the difference between the current real property and facilities needed by the Department in the National Capital Region in order to carry out the mission of the Department and the future needs of the Department.
(3) A current plan for construction of the headquarters consolidation at the St. Elizabeths campus that includes-- (A) the estimated costs and schedule for the current plan, which shall conform to relevant Federal guidance for cost and schedule estimates, consistent with the recommendation of the Government Accountability Office in the September 2014 report entitled ``Federal Real Property: DHS and GSA Need to Strengthen the Management of DHS Headquarters Consolidation'' (GAO-14-648); and (B) any estimated cost savings associated with reducing the scope of the consolidation project and increasing the use of existing capacity developed under the project.
(4) A current plan for the leased portfolio of the Department in the National Capital Region that includes-- (A) an end-state vision that identifies which Department- wide operations, component operations, and support offices do not migrate to the St. Elizabeths campus and continue to operate at a property in the leased portfolio; (B) for each year until the consolidation project is completed, the number of full-time equivalent employees who are expected to operate at each property, component, or office; (C) the anticipated total rentable square feet leased per year during the period beginning on the date of enactment of this Act and ending on the date on which the consolidation project is completed; and (D) timing and anticipated lease terms for leased space under the plan referred to in paragraph (3).
(5) An analysis that identifies the costs and benefits of leasing and construction alternatives for the remainder of the consolidation project that includes-- (A) a comparison of the long-term cost that would result from leasing as compared [[Page H1771]] to consolidating functions on Government-owned space; and (B) the identification of any cost impacts in terms of premiums for short-term lease extensions or holdovers due to the uncertainty of funding for, or delays in, completing construction required for the consolidation.
(b) Comptroller General Review.-- (1) Review required.--The Comptroller General of the United States shall review the cost and schedule estimates submitted under subsection (a) to evaluate the quality and reliability of the estimates.
(2) Assessment.--Not later than 90 days after the submittal of the cost and schedule estimates under subsection (a), the Comptroller General shall report to the appropriate committees of Congress on the results of the review required under paragraph (1).
(c) Definitions.--In this Act: (1) The term ``Administrator'' means the Administrator of General Services.
(2) The term ``appropriate committees of Congress'' means the Committee on Homeland Security and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives and the Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs of the Senate.
(3) The term ``Department'' means the Department of Homeland Security.
(4) The term ``National Capital Region'' has the meaning given the term under section 2674(f)(2) of title 10, United States Code.
(5) The term ``Secretary'' means the Secretary of Homeland Security.
The SPEAKER pro tempore. Pursuant to the rule, the gentleman from South Carolina (Mr. Duncan) and the gentlewoman from New Jersey (Mrs. Watson Coleman) each will control 20 minutes.
The Chair recognizes the gentleman from South Carolina.