A picture of Representative Brian Higgins
Brian H.
Democrat NY 26

About Rep. Brian
  • Amanda’s Law

    by Representative Brian Higgins

    Posted on 2013-01-15

    submit to reddit

    HIGGINS asked and was given permission to address the House for 1 minute.) Mr. HIGGINS. Mr. Speaker, 3 years ago this Thursday, western New York teenager Amanda Hansen tragically passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of a defective boiler at a friend's home where she was spending the night.

    In response to this tragedy, the New York State Legislature designated January as Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month and passed Amanda's Law. Amanda's Law requires carbon monoxide alarms to be installed in all new single and multifamily homes and any rentals with a fuel-burning appliance system or attached garage.

    Mr. Speaker, carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in this country. There's a simple way to lower that number: installation of carbon monoxide detectors in homes and residences.

    I commend the work of the Amanda Hansen Foundation and join them in encouraging all Americans to prevent carbon monoxide-related tragedies by installing detectors in their homes.


  • submit to reddit
  • Register your constituent account to respond

    Constituent Register